Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla-Less Soup
January 7, 2020
Make some meal prep magic (and do it quickly) with this hearty Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla-Less Soup!
And by magic, I mean delicious and ready to reheat and eat.
This Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla-Less Soup recipe is exactly the same as our stovetop Chicken Tortilla-Less Soup but, you guessed it, it’s made in the Instant Pot to speed things up while locking in loads of flavor from a short list of wholesome ingredients.
This soup, along with this Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili and this Veggie Loaded Turkey Chili (both of which can be made in a pressure cooker), are probably the three recipes I meal prep most often because they all freeze beautifully. I portion them into small freezer-safe containers (similar to these and these) to stock my freezer so that I always have them on hand for lunches or a super quick dinner.
Just 10 ingredients, more or less.
We don’t count cooking oils and fats or salt and pepper toward the total number of ingredients in a recipe so this is more or less 10 ingredients which, in my mind, qualifies it as an ‘express lane’ kind of meal. Just a few ingredients, minimal prep, and short cooking time.
Say. no. more.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links that will not change your price but will share some commission.
No Instant Pot?
No problem. We’ve got a super-easy stovetop version here. But seeing as how it’s 2020, it’s probably time to get on the pressure cooker train because this ultra-convenient appliance doesn’t seem to a fad anymore. It’s here to stay for those of us who’ve embraced its ease, versatility, and convenience. Just my two cents.
Freezer-friendly meals for the win.
Nothing says ‘self-care’ in my mind like a stash of meals in the freezer. Didn’t grocery shop? Check the freezer. Too tired to cook? Check the freezer. Sick/laid up/broken leg? Check the freezer. You get the idea.
Trust me, a stash of this Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla-Less Soup will serve you well. Packed with protein and flavor, it’s easy to customize the level of heat by adding more or less fresh jalapeños (or add a diced chipotle in adobo sauce or a pinch of dried chipotle pepper). You can skip the Homemade Taco Seasoning and opt instead for a store-bought packet but trust me, the homemade version is so much better and it makes enough for another batch of Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla-Less Soup or these Taco-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes or this One-Dish Chicken Fajita Bake, or this Tex-Mex Sweet Potato Hash.
Since this is Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla-Less Soup, you probably already guessed that it’s served without the tortilla strips you typically see with tortilla soup. And you’re right. To keep the soup Whole30-friendly we’ve left them out (just as we did in our stovetop version), but feel free to add them if you’d like.
Tortilla chips will also work in a pinch, but they do tend to get soggy quickly and in a not-so-good way. For that reason, I prefer thinly slice corn tortillas, then lightly spray them with cooking oil (or brush with oil) then bake them in a single layer on a large, rimmed baking sheet in a 350℉ oven for 12-15 minutes or until they’re crispy and lightly golden brown.
Try topping your Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla-Less Soup with fresh cilantro, sliced jalapeños, diced avocado, and lime wedges for a restaurant-style meal at home. Or give it a sprinkle of shredded cheese or a dollop of sour cream if that’s your thing. You really can’t go wrong here.
Hungry for More? Subscribe to get our newsletter delivered straight to your inbox! And be sure to stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates.
- 1½ lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp. cooking fat of choice (avocado oil, olive oil, ghee, etc.)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 small jalapeño, minced (and membranes removed for less heat)
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning (such as our Homemade Whole30 Taco Seasoning)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (or homemade broth)
- 1 28-ounce can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes (may substitute diced tomatoes)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- Diced avocado and lime wedges for serving
- Select ‘Saute’ on the Instant Pot. When the pot is hot, add cooking fat of choice. Sauté the onions and bell pepper 3-4 minutes or until they start to soften. Press ‘Cancel’ and stir in garlic, green chiles, and jalapeño (if using).
- Add chicken, taco seasoning, cumin, salt, broth, and tomatoes. Stir, lock the lid into place, set cook time for 15 minutes (high pressure) and flip vent valve to the ‘Sealing’ position.
- After cooking time is up, allow for 5-10 minutes of natural pressure release before manually releasing any remaining pressure then remove lid when safe to do so.
- Remove chicken from pot and shred with two forks. Return shredded chicken to the pot and stir in lime juice.
- Taste and season with additional salt if needed. Serve with fresh cilantro, avocado, lime wedges, etc.
- Serving Size: 2 cups (without toppings)
- Calories: 223
- Sugar: 8g
- Sodium: 582mg
- Fat: 6g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 25g
Pin this now & make it later!
Photo Credit: The photos in this blog post were taken by Jess of Plays Well with Butter.
All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on The Real Food Dietitians. Thank you!